posted on September 24
NEWS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
Hello all, it’s hard to believe but summer is over and we are now official in Autumn, but it has started out warm and I hope it stays that way for a while. Enjoy the fall colors! ~ Pastor Chris
Drive-Thru Scavenger Hunt September 27
- September 30th will be start of our 13-week study on the New Testament via Zoom. We will have two time slots: 12-1pm and 6:30-7:30pm. September 30th will be an introduction and we will look to finish the 12 sessions before Christmas. If you are interested, email me at email@example.com. If you want a book ordered for you, let me know. They will be $13 from us and around the same from Cokesbury. Amazon has them a little cheaper via Kindle. We have the books, so if you needed one, please come and pick one up, they are $13.
- We are still in the Yellow Phase and will be until the Conference changes it. No date for that yet, so look to be outside as long as we can and then inside with all of the restrictions that are in the plan that was outlined in the newsletter. All activities will follow the phase we are in and may need to be canceled or changed depending on what happens this fall. Please follow all of the restrictions to keep everyone safe and do no harm. If you have any questions pleases contact me via email.
- I am available, but at this point by appointment. If you’d like to meet in the church, then all the restrictions apply and you just need to contact me or the office to set something up, or outside if the weather is good. You can also meet me via Zoom if you don’t feel comfortable coming in person.
- We will be evaluating every Sunday as to if we are going to be outside. The days are looking nice but with cooler mornings we will have to wait and see each Sunday. We also have our new AV system, so if you can’t make it, check out our Facebook Live or YouTube recordings. We will as always continue on Bevcomm. With the new system, the sound will be much better, as well as the video quality. This only applies to when we are inside. Look for us to utilize this even more as we learn it better and we move into the fall/winter.
A Drive-Thru Scavenger Hunt will be Sunday, Sept. 27. This is open to everyone! Families, or teams, will be given a list of things they will have to drive around to find, or things they have to do, then take a picture as proof. It’s sure to provide a lot of laughs and fun! Meet at church at 3:45, and you will get your instructions and head out at 4:00. At 5:30, if you are done or not, come back to the church for some hotdogs, chips, cookie and water. You can take your team to the park and eat, there will be a lot of space to spread out (social distance, please), picnic tables, bring a blanket etc. Or you can bring your food home to eat. If you don’t want to do the scavenger hunt, you can still come for the food at 5:30 and see your church family!
3rd-6th Grade Tuesday Kids
We have been blessed with really nice Fall weather so far, so we can have Tuesday Kids outside at the park. We started with 3rd & 4th and 5th & 6th grades on different weeks. But we think we are going to try to them on the same day starting Tuesday, Sept 29. So, 3rd through 6th grade, come to Thompson Park after school this Tuesday. We will have a snack for you, story, Bible memory, craft, project, and fun!! We are learning about the Fruit of the Spirit. Dress warm in case it is a little chilly. We will be done by 4:30. If anyone would like to be a volunteer, please come and help out! The kids are awesome!!!
For those comfortable with attending in-person worship, please remember to social distance both inside and outside. Masks are required if inside, but optional outside.
We do this for the safety of others.
Sunday School Teachers Still Needed
October 4th will be the first day of Sunday School. We’re still looking for teachers for the following grades:
- Co-teachers for Pre-school & Kindergarten (one for all year and one from Jan.-May)
- A co-teacher for 3rd & 4th
- Two co-teachers each for 5th & 6th and 7th & 8th.
If you would like to be a teacher this year, please contact Sandy Youngblom or Sarah in the office. We are planning now for in-person classes; however, if the virus situation gets worse, we may need to try virtual options.
Blessing of the Backpacks & Devices
On October 4, the first day of Sunday School, we will have a blessing of backpacks and all electronic learning, working, and communication devices. So, EVERYONE, bring your backpacks and cell phones, tablets and laptops if you like, to church that day to have them blessed for the coming year.
World Communion Sunday is Oct. 4
Did you know World Communion Sunday funds education for church leadership in the UMC? Half of the gifts made on this Special Sunday will benefit World Communion Scholars, students pursuing expertise in a wide range of fields as they follow God’s call to serve communities and churches around the world.
We will take this special offering in church on October 4.
– Thank you to those of you with a fondness for camping who helped out our United Methodist Camps in their time of shortfall due to the coronavirus pandemic. Open Doors UMC pledged to match all donations up to $300, for a total gift of $600, and as of this printing, we have received $235. Thank you for helping to ensure that people young and old, and especially the children, will be able to experience the lifetime memories and inspirations they receive from church camp!
New Back Door
– The back door leading to the basement at the Wells Campus needs to be replaced with a new, weather-tight, secure door that opens and closes much more effortlessly than the current rusted one. If you would like to contribute to helping us get the new door in before winter, please send in your gift designated “New Door.”
New Copy Machine
– We have funds in memory of Betty Kruse to use for replacing the 9-1/2 year old copier. We have a ways to go, so if anyone else would like to help with this purchase, your donations would be appreciated!
The VFW Omelet Breakfast will be October 4 from 7:30am-noon at the Wells VFW. Omelets made to order with all the fixings. $9.00. Proceeds to the youth fund.
Wells Blood Drive: Mon., Sept. 28, 10:30-6:30 at American Legion.